I love a fancy looking appetizer; especially if it's tasty! I'm even more in love if It's something I can whip together quickly and effortlessly! Puff pastry is great and so versatile-- it works perfectly for handheld bites whether sweet or savory. These caramelized onion gruyere puff pastry bites are my new go to for any friends or family gathering... I'm obsessed! I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as me!
This will make 18 bites. Let's get started!!
What You Need:
- 1 Package of thawed puff pastry (I prefer Pepperidge Farm; there are 2 sheets in one box)
- 2 Medium sized onions ( I used red because they're my favorite but yellow onions would be perfect for this recipe also)
- 1 Sprig of thyme
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1.5-2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Salted butter
- 1 Egg
- 4-5 oz. Grated apple smoked gruyere cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Chopped green onions/scallions and rainbow micro greens (optional garnish)
You'll also need a cast iron pan or dutch oven, knife or pizza cutter, baking sheet and parchment paper.
Let's Get Started:
Note: Allow yourself extra time for caramelized onions to cool to room temperature before assembling and baking your bites. Keep your thawed puff pastry refrigerated until ready to bake.
- Prep the Onions
- Slice your onions into rings or strips.
- Using medium heat, add 3tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil to your cast iron pan or dutch oven. As butter melts add sliced onions, thyme and oregano. Let your onions cook down for about 20 minutes but stir periodically to prevent from burning.
- When onions are well browned, deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar. Then transfer to a dish to allow cooling to room temp.
- Prep the Puff Pastry
- Preheat Oven to 400º
- Using your knife or pizza cutter, divide each puff pastry sheet into 9 rectangles.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and add your puff pastry rectangles.
- Crack and beat 1 egg, and brush each rectangle with egg.
- Poke the center of each rectangle with a fork.
- Let's Bake
- Grab your room temp caramelized onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Add grated gruyere cheese and mix well.
- Place forkful of onion gruyere mixture on each rectangle
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown, rotate after 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before garnishing and serving.